Monday, January 31, 2011

1st Sewing Project

I (like most people, I think) have always been very intimidated by sewing machines. Thread, push pins, needles oh my. Nonetheless, I asked Stuart for a sewing machine for Christmas because I was determined to learn how to sew. Karen (my mother-in-law!) helped me set up and thread the machine. She also taught me how to operate it and we started my first sewing project -curtains for our dining room- together. Here are pictures of the process and results!

My supplies:

Some close up pics of the fabric--lots of fun little details.

I pinned liner to the fabric and sewed the curtain inside out.


My faithful spectators:


I left about 8" unsewn and pulled the curtain thru the hole so that the right side of the curtain was showing. I then sewed the small hole by hand and pressed the edges of the curtains with an iron.

Here's my handyman hanging the hardware:


And here are the 4 finished panels!


Now we have to dry wall and paint the walls, paint all the moulding, add a chair rail, re-do the ceilings, and hang our chandelier and we'll be done.

Not that I am an expert, but here are a few tips:
-Don't be afraid to learn to sew--it's really not that hard and it will save you a ton of money.
-Hang your curtain hardware higher than the window--it makes your ceilings feel taller.
-Sew straight panel curtains with no pocket for hardware and use rings with clips. That way, you can adjust your curtain height if you move into another house with windows at a different height.

As usual, pictures don't do anything justice--come visit us!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! They look gorgeous. I learned to sew at my grandmother's and mother's knees and I love it. If I had more time I would spend most of it sewing.

    ReplyDelete