Saturday, March 26, 2011

New Addition

That's right, there's a new addition 'round the Mull Mansion. Stuart and I are the proud new owners of a beautiful bow front chest. We've been perusing local antique stores for any furniture that might work in our house and finally found this piece at Ruby Jo's Antiques (no joke people, that's the name of the store--only in the South!). If you're local, we found this store in Conover. Some antique stores in this area have a lot of what I think of as country looking pieces, which don't interest me much. This store, despite the name, has more timeless and chic antique items and the prices are very fair. Here's our little beauty in her new home (and as you know by now, disregard unfinished walls in background):


We decided to put the piece in the little nook area at the top of our stairs. It's an awkward space because it's not quit big enough to make into a sitting area, but is definitely too big to be left unfurnished. She takes up just the right amount of space and is providing us with lots of storage, mainly for our linens and my fabrics (they just didn't think to build linen closets back in the '20s).


Stuart's favorite little feature is the built in change holder in the top little draws.


I personally like all the detailing on the face of the chest.


There was a little damage to the front veneer.


No worries--I pulled out my handy dandy stain pen and it's as good as new (almost).


The lady that we purchased the piece from (Ruby Jo, I presume) was very surprised to see such young antiquers in her store. But we both love old things--I think things like furniture are way more special when they have a story. And not just furniture. I was folding these sweet little pillow cases from my great grandmother to put in our chest:


And found my mom's maiden name stitched into one of them. I love finding little details like this.


Anywho, there she is! We moved the piece that was in the nook area down to sit under the staircase:


Another inherited piece from my parents--and don't you just love those red bud blooms in the clear vase, courtesy of our front yard.

And just because....


My sweet, pitiful husband who is recovering on the couch (MUST buy new living room furniture immediately--this couch is not cute, I know) from poison oak after doing yardwork on his day off--the pits, for sure. He keeps wandering around the house muttering "woe is me", I kid you not. His furry kids are keeping him company though!

2 comments:

  1. yay for ruby jo & the update!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Stuart! I hope he feels better! Love the new furniture! I need to post some picks myself. Newman has been painting, and Patti has been putting up curtains! So fun! I need to make a trip up there to see the house and do some antiquing with you!

    ReplyDelete