Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Singing Again

Or rather, sewing again--on my Singer! I've been looking for fabric for our bedroom for many months now--fabric for curtains, pillows, a headboard, anything that I liked that would go well with our paint color. Typically I would pick the fabric first and then pull a paint color from it because that's much easier, but our dewallpapered walls from
this post so desperately needed painting that there was no time to pick fabrics beforehand. Thus, I'm just now getting around to finding some fabrics that I really like for the room. Several weeks ago I was driving home from Greenville, SC and stopped at a little fabric store called Martha's Fabrics off of I-85. I had never been there before, but they have a great selection and are priced several dollars cheaper per yard than other stores with the same fabrics. I picked up 10 yards for bedrooms curtains (7.5 feet of fabric per panel, 4 panels needed for our 2 windows) and 1 yard to make 2 pillow shams. I've made 2 panels so far and wanted to share the progress!

Here is the fabric--a fun floral with lots of great colors (including our wall color!) to bring in accents:

I essentially followed the same steps that I discussed in this post, but came across a helpful trick on another blog to get straight fabric cuts. In order to cut straight lines (which sounds easy, but it can be very hard), I rolled out my 7.5 feet for each panel on my living room floor and lined up my cut line with the edge of my rug. Since I know my rug is square and the edges are straight, I simply cut across.


The rug is directly under the right half of the fabric in this picture. And those are my super sharp sewing scissors--they have a secret hiding place in our house so they aren't accidently used to wrap presents and such. Don't want to dull the ole' sewing scissors.

So I made my cuts and sewed the panels--Smyth even helped me close up the last little bit on one panel with my needle.


Here is our naked window before getting its clothing:


And after my handyman hung the curtain rod (from Lowe's--same as our curtain rods in the other bedroom) and we attached the curtain rings (from Tuesday Morning), here is the first completed window:


The green fabric on the chair is what our pillows will be made from for our bed--just a little preview. I've said it once and I'll say it again--curtains completely change a room! I am hoping to sew the other panels this weekend, perhaps. And maybe one of these days I'll post pictures of our entire bedroom...one of these days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment