Thursday, January 3, 2013

Biscuits that Melt in Your Jaw and Not in Your Paw

Post title brought to you by none other than Mr. Mull himself
 
When we first got our dog, Smyth (pronounced Sm-eye-th, named after my freshman dorm), in November 2010 I had a lot of time on my hands. Stuart and I had just gotten married and I wasn't working, living in a town where I hardly knew anyone. Somewhere along the way I found a recipe for homemade dog biscuits and having so much free time on my hands, decided to give them a whirl. Since that first batch, I've made several and they are such a hit with Smyth and her doggy friends and cousins that I thought I'd share them here.
 
Here's the recipe:
 
-2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup powdered milk
-1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
-1 tb wheat germ
-1 tsp beef bouillon
-6 tb bacon grease or meat drippings
-1 egg
-1/2 cup ice water
 
Preheat oven to 350*. Combine all dry ingredients. Cut in drippings. Mix in egg. Add enough ice water for mixture to form a ball. Pat out to 1/2" thick. Cut out. Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire racks.
 
This Christmas Smyth and I made these for her doggy cousins and her doggy boyfriend, Cooper.
 

 
I usually make them with a little bone-shaped cookie cutter that I found at a kitchen outlet, but this batch was for Cooper, hence the bones + hearts :). I need to pick up some Christmas cookie cutters for next year!
 
Last year I got some cellophane bags after Christmas for maybe .99 at Wal-Mart and used those to package the treats. Smyth wrote a little message to all her recipients:
 
 
 
Cousins' bags--we've got a lot of dogs in the family!
 
 
 
And of course, Smyth got to keep some for herself!
 
 
She even got to eat some of the biscuit dough...because we all know the dough is the best part, right?
 
This post brought to you as part of the series:
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment