Wednesday, January 2, 2013

His & Hers Monogrammed Lampshades


I love monograms. I kind of thought that after college I would grow out of them, but alas, I still love them the same. Who doesn't love a personalized object that is truly marked as belonging to you, and in a pretty script?
One of my dear friends has a lampshade that is monogrammed inside out, so that you can only see the monogram when the lamp is turned on. I've liked it for several years and thought it was high time I made some monogrammed lampshades for myself.
First things first, I took the lamps from this post and stripped each shade of its fabric. Then, I whipped out a can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint and gave the bases a new color. So from gold to white to ORB.
With the shades bare, it was time to get my monogram on and personalize these lamps for the hises and herses of the house (sad thing is, that kind of sounded like proper English in my head).
For my shade's monogram, I found this free, customizable printable.
customized printable monogram Customized Printable Monogram

 It was very easy to use--I just entered my own initials and then played with sizing on my print options to get a good size for my lamp.
Using my monogram as a reference for size, I went into Word and typed Stuart's monogram in a manly font (I think I used Garamond), increased to a gigantic size to match mine, and printed. I traced each monogram on laminating paper, cut them out in one big circle, stuck them to the inside of each lamp, and BAM, monogrammed lampshades when we turn on our lamps.


At first I was worried you may be able to see a little shadow around the circle I cut out, but because the laminating paper is completely clear and flushly adheres you can't see anything but our initials. As with all monogramming, it adds a little personal touch to these otherwise neutral lamps.


Plus, there's no confusing who sleeps where once your initials are slapped up there.


Double plus, it was a free project since I already had the spray paint and the laminating paper. Which is awesome, because things change pretty quickly around here so if I get tired of the monogrammed look I can just peel those babies off without feeling bad about money wasted.


Do you care for monograms? Have anything unusual that you just had to get your initials on? I may or may not have a monogrammed sports bra (but in my defense, it was gifted to me)...TMI?

This post brought to you as part of the series:


2 comments: