Thursday, January 10, 2013

This Little Light of Mine

Yep, that's right. We got a special new light in our house. I've been pondering adding something over our staircase (there was nothing there before) and we finally bit the bullet just before Christmas and called our electrician, Vernon, out to hang our new chandelier. But first things first...


We had to choose what we wanted. I knew that I wanted something that felt like it fit with the period of our home, so that pretty much eliminated any modern fixtures. I also kind of had a general idea of the look I was going for. The chandelier pictured above is from Overstock for $154.99 and was our first contender. The one pictured below was never a contender, but I just wanted to show you readers that if at first you find something you love but it's more than you want to pay, have patience and look for something similar elsewhere. The chandeliers below are from Pottery Barn and darn if they didn't look nearly identical to the Overstock fixture, but for TWICE the price. Ridiculous!


We also considered this little lantern-shaped chandy. This one ran a smidge cheaper than the first at $149, but the first one won me over--and I'm not going to lie, seeing how good it's identical twin looked in the Pottery Barn pictures was probably a big reason. We ended up snagging our new chandelier with free shipping (free shipping at Overstock with any order $50 or more) and a 10% off coupon for signing up for emails. You do the math, but with tax I think our total came to $138ish.



I must say, my pictures totally don't do this fixture justice. In person it is so beautiful and larger than it appears here...what can I say, I'm still learning how to best use my camera and I think lights are hard to capture in general. I tried at night and in the day to get good pictures--if anyone has any tips, please do share!


Vernon had to go into the attic to rig everything up since there was no fixture here previously. I love watching him work--it seriously amazes me how his mind figures out what needs to go where and where he needs to run what.



I spy a pup! Vernon and I discussed at length where we thought the fixture would be best--above the landing near the top of the stairs where they turn, or where we ended up hanging it. Basically, we decided to hang it where we did so that it could hang longer from the ceiling and add a little more drama to the stairs. If we had chosen to hang it over the landing, it would have been much closer to the ceiling for head clearance and I just don't feel like this light would have looked right like that.



We centered it on the window, as you can see in the picture above. I wasn't sure if it would bother me that it isn't centered between the two windows rather than on that one to the right, but it doesn't bother me at all and makes perfect sense when you're actually in the space.



And one last view looking up at it when walking up the stairs (my oh my look at the crack on our ceiling and that paint above the window--ceiling in need of painting, mentally noted). We are super happy with the chandelier we chose, and are enjoying all the extra stairway light that we now have!

 This post is part of the series:


To read other posts in this series, click the links below:







0 comments:

Post a Comment